Big Blue Interactive The Corner Forum  
 

Archived Thread

NFT: The Olympics suck and are boring (Long)

allstarjim : 2/13/2018 11:24 am
Look, are the athletes talented? Sure. Are some people interested in watching their talent? Clearly. But imagine if football was like many Olympic sports?

OBJ grabs a catch, makes a spin move, and runs for 60 yards to the end zone...and now we wait for the judges. Carl Banks: The judges are going to love the grace with which he gallops to the end zone here, but the technical score of the spin will be reviewed, he may lose a half-point for being a tad off-balance.

Sports are sports when competitors take the field (or pitch, court, ring, or rink), and prove they are better than you. And they do it by scoring more points or beating you up (in the case of MMA, boxing, and sometimes hockey). There are no judges to analyze IF you did it better. You either WERE better and you win, or you weren't, and you lose, because...scoreboard. And yes, you'd be fair in saying, "Hey man, that's not exactly true...MMA and boxing has judges, duuuude." And while you are technically correct (and don't call me dude), when it goes to the judges, then we just do a do-over. That's why Ali and Frazier fought three times...they just keep fighting each other until one definitively whips the other. 'Haha! NOW WE ALL FINALLY KNOW, I AM THE GREATEST!'

Figure skating...no doubt, the skaters are very talented and athletic. They are graceful, dare I say beautiful and sometimes mesmerizing. However, not really a sport. How is it different than ballet? Or ballroom dancing? Both require athleticism, balance, skill, choreography and sometimes sass. But two of the others are thought of (mostly), as an artistic hobby or entertaining night out. And you need a manual to decipher what the difference is between a triple lutz, salchow, toe loop, flip and axel.

Snowboarding half-pipe? Hey guys, watch me do this McDouble Fakie Corkscrew 720. What? No denying the talent, I certainly can't go up in the air and spin around like that and avoid certain death upon landing, er, splatting. But if you need a panel of judges to validate what you just did? Bah! Not sport, I say. When Giancarlo Stanton hits a 500 ft solo homerun, it's majestic...it's spectacular. When Jose Reyes barely clears the right field fence by the foul pole for a solo homerun, it's a good hit, and no doubt, people will look more in awe of Stanton's shot. But they are both worth 1 run on the scoreboard. As it should be. Stanton doesn't get extra points from the Russian judge.

I particularly find it funny how some sports throw out the high score and low score of the judges. You and you...your opinions don't count this time. Be more middle ground next time in your judging. Seems like not really a good enough reason to discard their judging. What makes their score less valid? Perhaps they are more right than the other judges, and what makes you so qualified to say they aren't?

And that's why judging sucks. Yes, even in boxing and MMA. Nobody likes it when it goes to the judges. We are all disappointed when it happens, and kind of waiting for the guy who we think won to get screwed over. So why would you have a whole sport whose only avenue of declaring victory or defeat is through judges? LAME.

Of course, not all Winter Olympics have judges. There is hockey! And...and...CURLING! YES, CURLING! And then there are the sports where you win by being the fastest. That's cool with me. I'm faster than you, and here, I'm going to prove it.

The only thing I don't get about the timed events is all the different ways to slide down a hill. You have skiing, snowboarding, bobsledding, luge, and skeleton, which sounds like a very unadvisable way to go down a mountain. At any rate, I don't have much issue with them...if you're the fastest luge guy (best lugie?), then you're the fastest. Get 'yer medal, your country is proud of you. But still, watching them all try to get to the bottom of a mountain in different ways, 2-tenths of a second faster than the other guy, isn't great to watch. It's not as bad as watching 3 hours of NASCAR, but in both cases, we just want to see you crash.

But you won the ice dancing competition? Well, that's just like, their opinion, man.

In conclusion, there is a reason they only do this once every 4 years...and not during football season. It's almost like..."Hey guys (in East German accent)...I see your super big champion game is over now, and since you are super bored, perhaps we can interest you in some cold-weather gymnastics on slippery surfaces?" No, no you cannot.

Let's talk about the draft instead...Josh Rosen sucks and is going to be a bust. Just for you, Milton ;) /rant

Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: so there's no judging in football?  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 11:37 am : link
In comment 13831004 YAJ2112 said:
Quote:
In comment 13830998 allstarjim said:


Quote:


In comment 13830986 YAJ2112 said:


Quote:


In comment 13830974 allstarjim said:


Quote:


In comment 13830968 YAJ2112 said:


Quote:


Did they change the catch rule, holding rules, etc?



Not the same.

And yes, there's a difference between an athletic activity and a sport. IMO.



The judging does have an impact on who wins/loses still.



Maybe an impact, but you still have to score more points than the other guys.



And the judges often play a part in whether or not a team scores points. See the SB, Foles TD, Clement TD, etc. Those are calls that have been interpreted differently by different judges over the course of the year.


Yes but they scored the TD. And the other team could've still won had they scored more points.
What??  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/13/2018 11:37 am : link
Quote:
W's and L's aren't determined by an observer opinion


Games certainly have been determined by refs. and in a tie-in to the olympics, just look at the 1972 US basketball team.
and the skaters could have won  
YAJ2112 : 2/13/2018 11:38 am : link
if they did more/better jumps
Some of you are trying to equate  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 11:38 am : link
Refereeing applying the rules of the game to judging, in which the judging and judging only determines the outcome. Seems like a fool's errand to justify equating the two.
RE: and the skaters could have won  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 11:39 am : link
In comment 13831012 YAJ2112 said:
Quote:
if they did more/better jumps


Who says they are better?
RE: RE: and the skaters could have won  
YAJ2112 : 2/13/2018 11:40 am : link
In comment 13831016 allstarjim said:
Quote:
In comment 13831012 YAJ2112 said:


Quote:


if they did more/better jumps



Who says they are better?


More rotations, higher elevation = better
RE: Some of you are trying to equate  
YAJ2112 : 2/13/2018 11:41 am : link
In comment 13831013 allstarjim said:
Quote:
Refereeing applying the rules of the game to judging, in which the judging and judging only determines the outcome. Seems like a fool's errand to justify equating the two.


Seems equally foolish to split hairs on the subjective/objective elements of each.
I don't watch the figure skating  
Csonka : 2/13/2018 11:43 am : link
Glad we have the other channel to switch too. But I love most of the Winter Olympics. To each his own.
But judging..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/13/2018 11:43 am : link
and judging only doesn't actually happen in any discipline:

Quote:
Some of you are trying to equate
allstarjim : 11:38 am : link : reply
Refereeing applying the rules of the game to judging, in which the judging and judging only determines the outcome. Seems like a fool's errand to justify equating the two.


Most of the sports have gone to specific scoring requirements for particular elements. The judgement part is only part of the equation. For instance, the moguls skiing. Time plays 20% of the part, aerials is 40% and the skiing itself is 40%, and while there's subjectivity, it is just like refereeing. If a mogulist falls, she's eliminated. A judge can't just say she's the best and award her gold.
RE: But judging..  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 11:50 am : link
In comment 13831029 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
and judging only doesn't actually happen in any discipline:



Quote:


Some of you are trying to equate
allstarjim : 11:38 am : link : reply
Refereeing applying the rules of the game to judging, in which the judging and judging only determines the outcome. Seems like a fool's errand to justify equating the two.



Most of the sports have gone to specific scoring requirements for particular elements. The judgement part is only part of the equation. For instance, the moguls skiing. Time plays 20% of the part, aerials is 40% and the skiing itself is 40%, and while there's subjectivity, it is just like refereeing. If a mogulist falls, she's eliminated. A judge can't just say she's the best and award her gold.


Ok, you got me, I concede Muggles is a sport. Also, everyone knows the 1972 Mens Olympic basketball game wasn't a real game. Because the referees interfered as much as they did, it destroyed the credibility of the game. Thanks for making my point!
RE: RE: RE: and the skaters could have won  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 11:51 am : link
In comment 13831019 YAJ2112 said:
Quote:
In comment 13831016 allstarjim said:


Quote:


In comment 13831012 YAJ2112 said:


Quote:


if they did more/better jumps



Who says they are better?



More rotations, higher elevation = better


Can the judges tell us the precise height and exact degrees of rotation that led to their higher scores? Are you also ignoring the very subjective composite score?
I don't..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/13/2018 11:51 am : link
think you've conceded your ignorance as much as you just proclaimed to have done so.....
My 16 year old daughter  
mdthedream : 2/13/2018 11:52 am : link
loves it. I think its the fact you are doing it for your country and she thinks its great. So that said its why I watch it with her. She is a sports nut loves the Giants,Yankees and crazy about Europe Soccer.
Wonder how much of this was fueled by the postponement.......  
njm : 2/13/2018 11:52 am : link
of the alpine skiing events. All ice dancing all night was enough to put an insomniac to sleep.
Honestly  
moespree : 2/13/2018 11:52 am : link
I do think this Olympics is pretty boring for some reason. I'm not quite sure why either, because I haven't been bored in the past by any of them, but this one is boring me. And there's really not that much different. They're covering the same events they usually do, they have the same 5 minute little segments on people they usually do, I don't know. I'm not into it this time either.
RE: I don't..  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 11:55 am : link
In comment 13831042 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
think you've conceded your ignorance as much as you just proclaimed to have done so.....


I think you just like to be contrarian to an obviously tongue-in-cheek post meant mostly as a slightly amusing diversion from the aftermath of a terrible NFL season and doldrums of the pre-draft NFL year.

But sure, you can call me ignorant...I consider the source.
Chloe Kim age 17. USA  
idiotsavant : 2/13/2018 11:55 am : link
Nuff said. 9.825

Next best 8.6 or some shit.


KICKS ASS!!!

Not to mention Red what's his name. Also 17. Also KICKS ASS!
RE: My 16 year old daughter  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 11:55 am : link
In comment 13831044 mdthedream said:
Quote:
loves it. I think its the fact you are doing it for your country and she thinks its great. So that said its why I watch it with her. She is a sports nut loves the Giants,Yankees and crazy about Europe Soccer.


That's actually pretty cool. You're a good dad.
I called you igniorant..  
FatMan in Charlotte : 2/13/2018 11:58 am : link
for this drivel:

Quote:
Ok, you got me, I concede Muggles is a sport


But hey, if you like posting several paragraphs to be tongue-in-cheek and fail to hit the mark on that intention. Cool.
RE: I called you igniorant..  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 12:03 pm : link
In comment 13831058 FatMan in Charlotte said:
Quote:
for this drivel:



Quote:


Ok, you got me, I concede Muggles is a sport



But hey, if you like posting several paragraphs to be tongue-in-cheek and fail to hit the mark on that intention. Cool.


Proof that judging is dumb. Anyway, mission accomplished. Hook, line and sinker.
RE: RE: I called you igniorant..  
YAJ2112 : 2/13/2018 12:06 pm : link
In comment 13831068 allstarjim said:
Quote:
In comment 13831058 FatMan in Charlotte said:


Quote:


for this drivel:



Quote:


Ok, you got me, I concede Muggles is a sport



But hey, if you like posting several paragraphs to be tongue-in-cheek and fail to hit the mark on that intention. Cool.



Proof that judging is dumb. Anyway, mission accomplished. Hook, line and sinker.

Well done. You get the bronze medal from the judges!
Bronze? My bribe paid off!  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 12:09 pm : link
;) I'm just happy to be on the podium!
What About Boxing?  
Capt. Don : 2/13/2018 12:10 pm : link
?
US Women's Hockey  
pjcas18 : 2/13/2018 12:13 pm : link
team advances to the quarterfinals.

hopefully we get treated to another USA Canada medal game. USA hasn't beaten them in the Olympics I don't think, but has I believe swept them the past 3 world cups.

looking forward to the women's hockey as much as the men's.

RE: What About Boxing?  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 12:19 pm : link
In comment 13831083 Capt. Don said:
Quote:
?


Did not read it all. Sigh. It's ok.
RE: RE: What About Boxing?  
Capt. Don : 2/13/2018 12:21 pm : link
In comment 13831097 allstarjim said:
Quote:
In comment 13831083 Capt. Don said:


Quote:


?



Did not read it all. Sigh. It's ok.


Shit.
RE: US Women's Hockey  
Mad Mike : 2/13/2018 12:23 pm : link
In comment 13831089 pjcas18 said:
Quote:
hopefully we get treated to another USA Canada medal game. USA hasn't beaten them in the Olympics I don't think, but has I believe swept them the past 3 world cups.

US beat Canada in both games (qualifying and gold medal game) in Nagano.
RE: RE: US Women's Hockey  
pjcas18 : 2/13/2018 12:26 pm : link
In comment 13831109 Mad Mike said:
Quote:
In comment 13831089 pjcas18 said:


Quote:


hopefully we get treated to another USA Canada medal game. USA hasn't beaten them in the Olympics I don't think, but has I believe swept them the past 3 world cups.



US beat Canada in both games (qualifying and gold medal game) in Nagano.

Thank you for the update.
There is only one sport in the winter olympics  
BillT : 2/13/2018 1:00 pm : link
Alpine skiing (downhill to be more specific). The rest are events but they're not sports.
And hockey, too  
BillT : 2/13/2018 1:01 pm : link
!
In other news...  
trueblueinpw : 2/13/2018 1:10 pm : link
RE: Chloe Kim age 17. USA  
YAJ2112 : 2/13/2018 1:18 pm : link
In comment 13831050 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
Nuff said. 9.825

Next best 8.6 or some shit.


KICKS ASS!!!

Not to mention Red what's his name. Also 17. Also KICKS ASS!


9.825? Too bad she finished 90 points behind the winner
RE: In other news...  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 1:18 pm : link
In comment 13831205 trueblueinpw said:
Quote:


It's only boring if you watch the boring shit.  
Ryan in Albany : 2/13/2018 1:18 pm : link
The snowboarding, freestyle and alpine skiing, ski jumping, luge, bobsled, skeleton are all quite enjoyable to watch.
RE: It's only boring if you watch the boring shit.  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 1:21 pm : link
In comment 13831220 Ryan in Albany said:
Quote:
The snowboarding, freestyle and alpine skiing, ski jumping, luge, bobsled, skeleton are all quite enjoyable to watch.


Whine all you want about the games,  
Mad Mike : 2/13/2018 1:57 pm : link
the foodservice is top notch.

What is the show of unity  
pjcas18 : 2/13/2018 2:00 pm : link
free lettuce wraps?
RE: i know  
jnoble : 2/13/2018 2:02 pm : link
In comment 13830971 UESBLUE said:
Quote:
another thing thats long and boring...


That's not what the ladies tell me (on the second part not the first)
For me  
jtfuoco : 2/13/2018 2:14 pm : link
I miss the days when it was a larger competition between who would win more metals between the Russians and the Americans and it felt like there was real tension between the athletes. Todays games feel way more campy with every sporting event having a 10 minute character story about every athlete how they overcame to get where they are today and at this point I just don't care anymore its done with every show these days.
I don't watch figure skating for the sport of it.  
fivehead : 2/13/2018 2:19 pm : link
I watch it for the women's tight buns.
.  
Bill2 : 2/13/2018 2:22 pm : link
snowboarding may not be as subjective as first appears:

1) I remember that the first Gold Medal Shaun White won his average height per jump was double the second place average height. His second his lowest height matched the average of everyone else

2) My understanding is that there is an electronic signal sent to measure the distance ( amplitude) of each jump over the lip of the half pipe X the speed from top to bottom of the pipe

that data record is instantly on the judges computers and counts in the scoring.

how much and how is the overall composite derived...I don't know. But we do know its not all unmeasured visual appeal
RE: Chloe Kim age 17. USA  
Gatorade Dunk : 2/13/2018 2:38 pm : link
In comment 13831050 idiotsavant said:
Quote:
Nuff said. 9.825

Next best 8.6 or some shit.


KICKS ASS!!!

Not to mention Red what's his name. Also 17. Also KICKS ASS!

Still getting the scores wrong by an order of 10x hours after it was pointed out to you on a different thread. Never fails.
RE: I don't watch figure skating for the sport of it.  
allstarjim : 2/13/2018 3:16 pm : link
In comment 13831289 fivehead said:
Quote:
I watch it for the women's tight buns.


And the sequins! We need more sequins, now!
so because you don't like the Olympics  
Jints in Carolina : 2/13/2018 10:22 pm : link
we should all have that mindset?

Get off my lawn...I fucking love The Olympics.
I would argue the exact opposite  
Knineteen : 2/13/2018 10:57 pm : link
OBJ catches an insane pass for 45 yards and then blows out his knee and is done for the rest of the season. Giants season is over and we have to wait 8 months with our collective thumbs up our asses. Yeah, awesome.

The 4 major sports have absolutely nothing on the Olympics.
The Olympics is instant gratification and represents athletes competing for something other than money. MLB is 162 long and boring games, where millionaires battle other millionaires and teams consider only 65 losses to be a "successful" season.

The Olympics is like having your team in multiple championship games every night. How the hell could anyone not like that?!?!
The mens half pipe snowboarding  
sb2003 : 2/14/2018 12:30 am : link
was an incredibly exciting competition tonight. Some of those dudes are insane.
RE: The mens half pipe snowboarding  
Del Shofner : 2/14/2018 12:41 am : link
In comment 13831805 sb2003 said:
Quote:
was an incredibly exciting competition tonight. Some of those dudes are insane.


Not sure about "incredibly exciting" but it was entertaining, and those dudes are definitely insane. Good storyline for the USA with the gold medal run right at the end - well deserved, from what I could see.
RE: RE: The mens half pipe snowboarding  
sb2003 : 2/14/2018 12:55 am : link
In comment 13831808 Del Shofner said:
Quote:
In comment 13831805 sb2003 said:


Quote:


was an incredibly exciting competition tonight. Some of those dudes are insane.



Not sure about "incredibly exciting" but it was entertaining, and those dudes are definitely insane. Good storyline for the USA with the gold medal run right at the end - well deserved, from what I could see.


Not everyone is a fan. I loved it.
Thanks allstarjim  
mdthedream : 2/14/2018 6:43 am : link
She was screaming last night with Shaun Whites last run in Halfpipe for the Gold.
Shaun White's half-pipe  
PaulBlakeTSU : 2/14/2018 12:43 pm : link
run was incredible. The amount of air that he and Chloe Kim get relative to other snowboarders is freakish
Pages: 1 2 <<Prev | Show All |
Back to the Corner